Newsela Student supercharges learning in every subject.
It starts with engaging articles on any topic you can think of—each available at 5 reading levels. Articles come with activities to help students take a deeper dive into the content.
As students read and take quizzes, the Newsela app adjusts the reading level to keep articles challenging and engaging. Plus, students can keep track of their improvement over time automatically.
Here’s what students can do with the Newsela app:
- Browse and search our entire library of leveled articles
- Easily organize and view assignments
- Adjust the reading level with a simple two-finger swipe
- Annotate, take quizzes, and submit Write responses both online and offline
- Track and view progress in real time
- Get informed of breaking stories and new assignments with notifications
- Encounter and practice vocabulary words with Power Words (for students with access)
Note for Teachers and Parents:
Newsela Student no longer works with Teacher and Parent accounts. To view the app, you must sign in with a Student account. You can also access your Teacher or Parent account with a web browser like Safari.
Today, more than 10 million learners are using Newsela to become better readers and learners.
If you love Newsela, share the app and write a review!
Our mission is to unlock the written word for everyone. Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights. The result is more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
What's New in Version 2.2.2
• Shared links to articles and activities will now open directly in the app. This includes links shared via email, Google Classroom, etc.
• Tapping the activity icons on the assignment screen (Quiz, Write, Annotations, Power Words) will now open the article directly to that activity.
• Various bug fixes and performance enhancements
• UPDATE: The Newsela app is now Newsela Student, with a new experience just for students. Teachers and parents can no longer sign in to the app.
This app, it has potential. The issue is that it is so one sided (politically) and it doesn’t bother to tell the other side side of an issue. Another issue that I have is their grammar. A lot of the articles have grammar issues. It really bothers me. A third issue that I have with Newsela is that a lot of their facts are wrong. Every time I have to pop onto the app to do my homework, almost every time I have to check out a book from the local library just to check if the information is correct (and we all know how unreliable Google is). Newsela, please fix this. I would like to ask you favor, though. I’m studying to be an author, and I would like to use Newsela as an opportunity for the future. It would be my dream to have many read a book that was written by me. Please.
This saved me
So one night, pretty late, I realized i had forgot to finish my newsela article for my class. I was panicking, and i found that i could download the newsela app, which helped me SO much. I finished the assignment in no time and it was super easy to do so! Unfortunately, my screen glitched out and accidentally submitted my write, but i did it at another reading level. Thank you for this app, it saved me from getting kicked out of that class.
Love this app
I love Newsela because there are tons of articles interesting to me, at my level, with just the right amount of information. I enjoy being able to feel like I know what is going on in the world. The app could fix a few design issues but overall I think it is great and easy to navigate. Definitely recommend!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jan 31, 2019
- Version: 2.2.2
- Size: 26.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Newsela, Inc.
- © 2019 Newsela
Compatibility: Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Device-Assignable
Optimized for Shared iPad