By Ginger Labs
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Top selling paid app on iPad App Store, regularly ranked #1.
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Drag and Drop to move files, text, photos, GIFs, web pages, and more from other apps into Notability with Multitasking.
• Secure and lock your notes using Face ID and Touch ID.
HANDWRITE AND SKETCH WITH BEAUTIFUL INK
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Easily create perfect shapes.
• Precisely erase freehand ink or shapes with varied brush sizes.
• Ink is fine-tuned for 1st and 2nd generation Apple Pencil for the most responsive, precise writing experience yet, including double-tap gesture for switching tools, erasing, and more.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 15 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you work with two notes side-by-side.
• Quickly switch between notes with the Note Switcher.
• Drag & Drop handwriting, typed text, images, and more between notes.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with word count and a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Save time with keyboard shortcuts.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Easily create searchable PDFs using OCR Document Scanning.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more, or share note content to other apps with Drag and Drop.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, WebDAV, and OneDrive are all supported!
Mac app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
What's New in Version 9.1.9
What's new in 9.1.9
• Introducing a new darker theme
• Added support for 1.25x audio playback speed
• Fixed a few problems with search indexing
• Miscellaneous bug fixes and minor improvements
A superb notes app for complex notes. Feature rich.
Note (pun intended): there are two types of apps for notes. (1) Quicky notes for momentary on-the-fly thoughts or reminders; and (2) Complex notes for, say, a “library” of classroom or medical or business purposes to be saved over a long term. Notability is most assuredly Type 2! Read that again.
Notability can be sort of slow to load on any older device. (It is fast on my iPhone Pro which keeps it handily cached.) This may be because it is so feature-rich. Read the “Welcome” document that comes with the app.
Notability syncs well between iOS devices and MacOS. (Careful to choose a tolerably compatible font-size: 12 to 14 seem to work well with Helvetica.) Syncs notably (!) faster than Apple Notes.
Sketching is superb, as is secure locking. Ability to handle PDFs and images: smooth and effortless.
Movement of notes between folders (topics)? A little awkward, but tolerable.
No grid display of notes on iPad as in some apps (such as e.g., Apple Notes and Google Keep). Entirely primitive handling of checklists (compared to Apple Reminders and Google Keep).
Audio recordings are not automatically labeled in any way shape or form: invisible dits if the note is otherwise empty (compared to Apple Voice Memos).
Automatic pagination: no ability to have a “non-paged” note.
I can’t think of anything else to say. So there you have it.
A split-screen mode would be beneficial. Pulling up two notes can help review notes or do assignments. Perhaps one can just be in a limited reading mode to limit how taxing it is on the device. One side can be for reading and the other can be full access full access and note taking. I currently have to export my separately saved notes to another app and pull up it up next to notability in order to read older notes and continue writing. It’s just too time consuming going up and down in one saved note. Other than that. I have used this app with my Apple Pencil with great happiness. I have essentially cut off the need for notebooks. I work and go to a university full time and can track all my notes for different classes in this app. I also can record all the lectures for later review.
As a student who exclusively uses Notability for everything I have some suggestions. Could you make it so I can arrange the notes manually. Also when i record the lectures on slides, i put time stamps on each corner of slides. I know that the app timestamps as i write but every time professor changes slides, I can’t tell from the recording when it’s changed. Could you make some kind of option to quickly insert time stamp like dragging the recording time from top and dropping it anywhere on the notes. These are in my opinion would be really helpful
- $8.99 ea. (1-19 units)$4.49 ea. (20+ units)
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 06, 2019
- Version: 9.1.9
- Size: 257 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Ginger Labs, Inc.
- © Ginger Labs, Inc. 2019
Compatibility: Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Device-Assignable
Optimized for Shared iPad