By Ginger Labs
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Top selling paid app on iPad App Store, regularly ranked #1.
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Drag and Drop to move files, text, photos, GIFs, web pages, and more from other apps into Notability with Multitasking.
• Secure and lock your notes using Face ID and Touch ID.
HANDWRITE AND SKETCH WITH BEAUTIFUL INK
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Easily create perfect shapes.
• Precisely erase freehand ink or shapes with varied brush sizes.
• Ink is fine-tuned for 1st and 2nd generation Apple Pencil for the most responsive, precise writing experience yet, including double-tap gesture for switching tools, erasing, and more.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 15 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you work with two notes side-by-side.
• Quickly switch between notes with the Note Switcher.
• Drag & Drop handwriting, typed text, images, and more between notes.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with word count and a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Save time with keyboard shortcuts.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more, or share note content to other apps with Drag and Drop.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, WebDAV, and OneDrive are all supported!
Mac app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
What's New in Version 9.0.5
***Bug fixes in 9.0.5***
• Fixed an issue where some notes would hang on load
• Improved scrolling while moving images and ink
***Bug fixes in 9.0.4***
• Fixed a problem recognizing handwritten text in some languages
• Added a warning when linking Notability to an unsecured WebDAV server
• Fixed an issue importing Google Drive documents
• Fixed a problem where ink could disappear unless content is scrolled
***Bug fixes in 9.0.2***
• Improved support for local WebDAV servers
• Deleting pages is now faster
• Improved performance for notes with a lot of images and handwriting.
• Images now can be resized to the full page width
• Browsing files from cloud services is now more reliable
• Fixed an issue involving ink duplication after image movement
• Fixed a problem with images outside of the canvas corrupting notes
• Fixed a crash in left-handed mode editing captions
• Added auto-scroll when moving media upward in left-handed mode
• Other miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements
***What’s new in Notability 9.0***
This is an exciting update for Notability! We’ve added powerful new features: Shapes, Partial Eraser, and improved image control.
• Draw a shape, hold the stroke for a moment, then watch as it snaps perfectly into place!
• Shapes can be styled and manipulated like regular handwriting.
• Create circles, ellipses, triangles, squares, rectangles, hexagons, and irregular shapes.
• Precisely erase any ink in a variety of eraser sizes, including shapes!
• Partial erase supports both freehand erasing and perfect shape erasing.
• Once a stroke is separated, it behaves exactly like regular handwriting.
• Rotate and crop images easily with a new, streamlined interface.
• New Dot Paper in four sizes.
I absolutely love Notability! The main reason I am writing this review though is because Notability could make one change. More fonts! Other word-processing applications like Word and Google Docs have access to hundreds of fonts, while Notability gives you.. maybe 20? I would love an update with more fonts!
EDIT: Thank you GingerLabs for reaching out! I downloaded iFont and I’m in love with it! I’m so happy with all of the fonts available (I must have downloaded a hundred already)! I wish I’d known about this sooner, but I’m anything but disappointed!
However, I have noticed that writing over images with the pencil and highlighter tools has gotten much more difficult. If I try to add dots or tiny lines, it deletes what I was trying to draw, and instead selects the image. From my experience before, I don’t recall being allowed to select images while using the pencil tool. Regardless if that statement is accurate, I would love a mode that is only drawing, and doesn’t allow text or the ability to select images. (Maybe like a drawing mode that can be toggled on and off from the top bar within the notes)
Love, but some improvements necessary
I’m a medical student and I use my iPad to take notes. I use it about 10+ hours a day. I love it! There are some people at school that use other apps, like OneNote because of some of its features, but end up having to switch to Notability because of syncing issues. As much as I love Notability, there are some things I think should be fixed to make it the best. One of the biggest issues is organization. That’s why so many people chose OneNote originally. The amount of tabs and dividers you could use to break down notes into more than two levels seemed infinite. I wish we had the option to divide the notes down more than just a divider and a subject. Also, I love that they gave us the option of more colors for the font, however, I’m one to use lots of different colors so I wish we had more of that ability. One thing that I haven’t really noticed but other people who have switched from OneNote is the ability to have blank space on the side to write extra notes rather than have to write directly on the screen. Notability seems to do a good job about listening to the customers on improvements, so hopefully they will fix these couple issues and make it the absolute best!
Awesome app. Needs more organizing features
I use Notability for all my graduate school studies. The ability to add pdf files so I can annotate them, to hand write notes with my Apple Pencil, and to sync between my Mac and iPad Pro make this app a necessity. Because my schooling is so research heavy, and I’m working on various papers and projects per class, I would love for this app to have more file management and organization features. Even the ability to sort notes inside a subject by tags would go a long way to helping to keep my subjects organized and simple.
What I think needs to happen, though, is that there needs to be one more level of sorting within the subjects within which notes can be sorted. So within my subject, I could have, say “projects”, and then my notes are organized into the appropriate projects.
A feature of this sort would make this great app unbeatable, in my opinion.
- $11.99 ea. (1-19 units)$5.99 ea. (20+ units)
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jul 15, 2019
- Version: 9.0.5
- Size: 242 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Ginger Labs, Inc.
- © Ginger Labs, Inc. 2019
Compatibility: Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Device-Assignable
Optimized for Shared iPad