By Ginger Labs
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation. Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Quickly create and edit notes by dragging and dropping documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop.
• Get more done with keyboard shortcuts.
• Secure and lock your notes using Touch ID.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 14 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you open multiple notes at once in new windows.
• Easily access your recently opened notes in the Recent Notes subject.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
• Ink can be scaled, transformed, rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, and OneDrive are all supported!
iOS app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
What's New in Version 3.1
*** What's new in 3.1 ***
You asked for these features and we listened! We've added powerful new features: custom colors, a color dropper to match any color in your note, increased note security using Apple's Touch ID, in-app file conversion, and dark mode.
Custom Colors & Color Dropper
• Custom colors have arrived - the rainbow is the limit! Expand your color palette by saving up to 32 additional custom colors.
• Colors can be chosen with a color wheel or by entering a HEX value.
• The color dropper easily allows you to select any color in your note and save that as one of your custom colors.
New Locking Feature
• Our security just got amped with Touch ID to unlock subjects.
In-app File Conversion
• Notability now converts Microsoft Office files to PDFs on your device for added privacy and security.
• Quicker and more reliable conversion.
• Notability now supports the system wide dark mode introduced in Mojave.
Doesn't sync well
So I started using this app about a year ago and loved it at first. It's a great app with lots of very useful features. However, the problem I had and couldn't ever get anyone to help resolve is that it doesn't always synchronize correctly. If you don't use the iCloud Sync feature then you are fine using this app.
I'll try to explain. Using the app on multiple devices and using the iCloud Sync feature if I would enter text in a note on one device but then switch over to another app too quickly, I would lose all of the text or most of it that I entered. So if I didn't go right back to the note again, I never knew that I lost it. Something to do with the sync on iCloud wouldn't work. I thought that maybe I had to shut the app off on all of the other devices, so I did that. Still didn't work. So if the notes you're putting into Notability are important to you, I would make sure everything is syncing correctly because it may not be.
I lost a lot of stuff over the past year and probably more than what I know of.
I use the Notes App now and it's working great. It doesn't have the features that Notability has but it does sync everything very nicely!
Hopefully this helps.
Thank you for the Added Features
I just wanted to say, "thank you" for continuing to improve this app. You could very easily do the bare minimum and retain the loyal customers you do have. After all, I use this app daily (on my iPad). So, I'm not likely to go about purchasing and learning a new system, simply because the app doesn't have a particular feature. I'm sure you know this. Yet, happily, you continue to add features. The main features I was excited about were (a) the ability to choose my own colors, and (b) the increased zoom levels. If I may propose an idea for a possible future feature: the ability to mix page styles within the same document. For example, the ability to have one page with lined paper for basic notes, while the next page is blank to allow for mind mapping or freehand drawings, while the next might be graph paper. This would be quite helpful. As for now, you all are doing a great job. Thank you!
Serious issues persist
The App has been improving, and I like the new in-app file conversion. However, I recently tried to copy text from a Word document and insert it into a note; to my surprise it inserted as an image instead of text and I was unable to blend the copied text into my note (cannot change font, size, color, .. etc). Also, this app still DOES NOT SUPPORT the share extension in MacOS or iOS. And still cannot back up to local disc or iCloud Drive.
Well, I have been using this app for almost two years, and while it has nice basic functions and syncs very well using iCloud, it continues to have serious issues.
1. It does not accept Word, powerpoint, or other documents without having to convert via Google Drive. Seriously? DevonThink and KeepIt both ausome note taking and document archiving apps also sync very well with iCloud, but do not need a document conversion (accept any kind of documents and store them in the native format). Theyt aslo provide encryption.
2. As in previous vecsions, you can have automatic back up to several third party cloud services but not to iCloud or to the local hard drive. Why?
3. Printing a note written in Notability does not show the note title, and stretcheds almost to the margins.
In short, I am very disappointed with the lack of serious improvements with this version 3.0. It is now on my list of unuseful apps to delete.
- $9.99 ea. (1-19 units)$4.99 ea. (20+ units)
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Nov 26, 2018
- Version: 3.1
- Size: 93.2 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Ginger Labs, Inc.
- © 2019 Ginger Labs, Inc.
Compatibility: macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processorDevice-Assignable